It may not be March but we're entrenched in our own brand of madness here at CineMunch. That's right, it's time for another movie bracket blowout. This time we sent to battle the greatest horror movies of all time (as judged by three 20-somethings and two 4-month-old felines).
Of course a battle of the spooks requires spooky drinks:
Bloody Orange Cocktail
(Adapted from Sam Henderson of Today's Nest, as posted on HGTV.com)
Yield: 4 servings
4 oz vodka
2 oz orange bitters
8 oz Orange Crush
2 cups fresh raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
Orange wedges for garnish
1. Puree 2 cups of fresh raspberries in a food processor. Press the puree through a fine mesh strainer. Discard seeds and any remaining pulp.
2. Place the puree in a small saucepan with sugar. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until thick and dark (about 10 minutes) and let cool.
3. Add vodka and bitters to a shaker with ice, and shake until very cold (about 20 seconds). Add Orange Crush and stir. Pour into iced glasses.
4. Artfully drizzle the raspberry syrup atop each drink and garnish with an orange wedge.
Liquefied Ghost (aka Hellacious Ghost)
(Adapted from Janelle Maiocco of TalkOfTomatoes.com, as posted at the Cooking Channel)
Yield: 4 servings
8 oz vodka
4 oz vanilla simple syrup
4 oz half and half
8 oz cream soda
1. Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker, then serve in chilled martini glasses.
After you mix your drinks, check out the Round One match-ups below, and listen to the full podcast to find out which was crowned greatest horror movie of all time!
ROUND ONE (Winners in bold)
#1: Psycho (1960) vs. #32: The Conjuring (2013)
#16: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) vs. #17: April Fool's Day (1986)
#9: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) vs. #24: The Others (2001)
#8: Halloween (1978) vs. #25: The Ring (2002)
#4: The Exorcist (1973) vs. #29: Drag Me to Hell (2009)
#13: Poltergeist (1982) vs. #20: I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
#12: The Shining (1980) vs. #21: Urban Legend (1998)
#5: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) vs. #28: Saw (2004)
#2: The Birds (1963) vs. #31: Insidious (2011)
#15: Children of the Corn (1984) vs. #18: The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
#10: Alien (1979) vs. #23: The Sixth Sense (1999)
#7: Carrie (1976) vs. #26: 28 Days Later... (2003)
#3: Rosemary's Baby (1968) vs. #30: Paranormal Activity (2009)
#14: Sleepaway Camp (1983) vs. #19: Scream (1996)
#11: Friday the 13th (1980) vs. #22: The Blair Witch Project (1999)
#6: The Omen (1976) vs. #27: Dawn of the Dead (2004)